Skip to content

How does Road2Asia provide DIRCO Services?

Road2Asia renders authentication services through The Department of International Relations and Cooperations to South African citizens and foreign nationals. We legalise South African (official) public documents for use abroad.  Here at Road2aAsia, we aim to provide legal validity to South African official (public) documents. In other words, to use the documents outside the Republic of South Africa.

What does Legalisation mean?

Legalising documents means that we authenticate official (public) documents within the Republic of South Africa. In order to use them outside the Republic of South Africa. These documents are affixed, sealed, and signed either with an Apostille Certificate (where countries are signatory to the Apostille Convention). Or with a Certificate of Authentication (where countries are not signatory to the Apostille Convention). Legalisation therefore basically means the process we follow to verify the signature and seal on an official (public) document.

Note:  The full description of the Apostille Convention is The Hague Convention of 5 October 1961.  Please visit The Hague Conference on Private International Law for further information on signatory countries.

Road2Asia provides the following services:

  • We legalises official (public) documents within the Republic of South Africa for use outside the Republic of South Africa. By means of an Apostille Certificate or a Certificate of Authentication.
  • Road2Asia provides customers with guidelines to obtain the correct signatures/documents if the documents submitted are incorrect or incomplete.
  • We also provide customers with information by telephonically, and via e-mail.

Prerequisite to request consular notarial services

The customer should determine the documents required for leaglisation beforehand.  Road2Asia do not advise customers as to what documents they need to submit. i.e. Foreign work/residence permits; application for foreign citizenship or registration of birth; or to obtain a foreign passport, etc.

We advise customers to contact the foreign representative in South Africa of the country in which the document will be used. To determine what documents they will need to submit. As well as the purposes and what their country’s specific requirements are, etc.

Road2Asia can assist with the relevant Apostille Certificate or the Certificate of Authentication via The Department of International Relations and Cooperations subject to the following rules:

  • The customer needs to advise Road2Asia of the country in which the document will be used. For us to determine if an Apostille Certificate or Certificate of Authentication is required.
  • The period of validity of the document has not expired.
  • All foreign documentation must be legalised from the country of origin.

The following types of original official (public) documents are eligible. Considering they contain a stamp and signature from the relevant authority.

  • We accept original unabridged or full birth, marriage, and/or death certificates. Original (valid) letters of no impediment (marital status). Letter confirming an individual’s citizenship status (letters confirming naturalization). Renunciation letters as issued and duly signed and stamped by the authorised Home Affairs official.
  • Road2Asia accepts original (valid) Police Clearance Certificate is issued, signed, and stamped by the South African Police Service (SAPS). Also, known as the Criminal Record and Crime Scene Management. Previously referred to as the Criminal Record Centre (CRC).  (Note:  A Police Clearance Certificate is only valid for six (6) months from the date of issue.)
  • We also accept original adoption papers that were signed and stamped by the relevant Presiding Officer / Commissioner of Child Welfare of the Children’s Court. Known as the Department of Justice and Constitutional Development. Or the Registrar of Adoptions at the Department of Social Development.
  • Road2Asia also accepts original Confirmation Letters as issued (stamped and signed) by the Department of Transport. Or the Road Traffic Management Corporation (RTMC) confirming that the applicant holds a valid driver’s license.  (Note: Road2Asia cannot legalize actual driver’s licenses.)

Documents that are not eligible:

  • We do not accept abridged certificates or computer printouts (in other words a shortened version of the unabridged certificate). Due to the fact that an abridged certificate is simply a computer printout. It does not contain the signature and stamp of the issuing authority.
  • Marriage certificates issued by the Marriage officer are not eligible for processing. Only unabridged marriage certificates from The Department of Home Affairs are eligible for processing.
  • Road2Asia does not accept certified copies of i.e. birth, marriage, death certificates; or police clearance certificates. Also not letters of no impediment (marital status); proof of citizenship; travel documents or identity documents, etc. Road2Asia also does not accept documents that were certified as a true copy of the original by a Commissioner of Oaths.

Old Documentation from The Department of International Relations and Cooperations

  • Please take note that although the original document is an original and valid document, the signature of the official (or employee) who originally made his/her signature on the document might not be available on The Department of International Relations and Cooperations (DIRCO( – Legalisation Section signature database. This makes it impossible for the Legalisation Section to legalise the “old” document at such a late stage. Therefore it is advisable that the document should preferably not be older than one (1) year. Road2Asia furthermore recommends that customers must also verify with the relevant foreign representative in South Africa what their specific country requirements are.
  • Furthermore, Letters of No Impediments (marital status) are eligible if an original, official Home Affairs letterhead, contains a signature and stamp by the Home Affairs official (Head Office only).  (These documents are only valid for a period of six (6) months from the date of issue.)  Important:  The Department of Home Affairs confirms that the Letter of No Impediments (marital status) contains a stamp and signature by the authorised official at the Head Office of the Department of Home Affairs only.  Letters, from the Regional Home Affairs offices, are not eligible for legalization purposes.
Scan the code